Monday, October 29, 2012

San Francisco: Alcatraz Part II Inside

The actual prison on Alcatraz Island was as creepy as it was intriguing. Perhaps because I've never actually been to prison, I couldn't help imagining what the place would have been like when it was in its prime. With inmates in every cell and officers patrolling 24 hours a day. The cells themselves were extremely depressing, a single bed, toilet, chair and desk was all the inmates had. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like to actually live there but at the same time I was intrigued by the  history that came with the facility. Did you know that someone dug themselves out using only a spoon? Or that the officers didn't carry guns around the cell block for fear that one of the prisoners would steal them? See, these are some of the fun facts I learned on my audio tour! I would go back to this place in a heart beat. So interesting and so strangely beautiful.





The exercise area


The library



The kitchen--they painted the knife outlines so that they could easily see if one was missing



















No comments:

Post a Comment