Thursday, October 11, 2012

Coconut Red Lentil Soup For Cozy Nights

My love for soups and stews runs deep in my veins. Nothing appeals more to me than making a good soup & eating it on a cold, snowy day. Although snow is no where to be seen, I still managed to make one of my favorite vegetarian soups this week.



This coconut lentil soup will make your home smell edible and could easily feed 6 people without breaking a sweat which makes it perfect for entertaining. PLUS it calls for curry powder, and anything that calls for curry powder is a cut above the rest in my book. 

Here's what you need:

1c. dried red lentils RINSED
1c. dried split peas RINSED
6 1/2c. water
1c. chopped carrots
3 TB minced fresh ginger
3 TB toasted curry powder
3 TB butter
8 green onions sliced
1/2c golden raisins*
6oz tomato paste
1 14oz can coconut milk
cilantro/cayenne pepper/ green onions for garnish
salt and pepper to taste 
2c. cooked plain quinoa 

What you do:

Add lentils, split peas and water to large pot and bring to boil.

Once water is boiling, add carrots and 1/2 of ginger and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes.

In saucepan, toast curry powder until fragrant--YOU NEED TO STIR CONSTANTLY OR IT WILL BURN. Put aside and move on.

Melt butter over medium heat, add green onions and remaining ginger.  Let them cook for 2-3 minutes. 

Add golden raisins to butter mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Then add tomato paste and curry powder and stir to mix together.

Add tomato paste/butter/ginger/deliciousness and coconut milk to lentils/split peas. I normally like my "soup" on the thicker side, so I let it simmer away for about 25-30 minutes from this point.

I always serve it over rice or quinoa, and always add cilantro, green onions and cayenne pepper as toppings! 

It's truly scrumptious and easy to make, which in my mind is a WIN-WIN scenario.

Enjoy!

*when I first made this recipe I seriously thought about omitting the raisins, but trust me on this, they add a pop of flavor and don't overpower this soup! So add away!




No comments:

Post a Comment