Friday, June 28, 2013


Typically when I have friends over I get a little crazy. Is the house clean? What am I going to serve? Do I have ENOUGH? These are the general frantic thoughts that fly through my brain. But I think I've CRACKED the CODE to brunch entertainment y'all. The key is to keep it simple. My friend Viv came over a few weeks ago to see the new place and to have a little brunch action. I wanted the menu to be HEATHY and TASTEY to boot, so I decided to make a spinach, onion and cheddar cheese crustless quiche, fruit salad and a green salad! Although it was just the two of us, this could have EASILY fed 4 or 5 people. 

OK, it's recipe time. The crustless quiche couldn't be easier--in fact I've made three times since Viv came over! It makes for the perfect breakfast on the go (just take it to work and microwave it!) Here we go:

What you need:
- 9" pie dish, buttered
- 6 eggs
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 c of milk
- 3/4c- 1c shredded cheddar
- 1/2TB of butter
- salt and pepper to taste

What you do:

- Preheat your oven to 350 F

- Butter your pie dish and set aside

- In sauté pan, melt butter and then add onions. Cook 3-4 minutes (or until onions are translucent). 

- Add spinach to onions and wilt

- Beat eggs and milk together in bowl. Then add cheese, onion/spinach mixture, salt and pepper.

- Pour mixture into buttered pie dish and bake for 25-30 minutes. 

- The quiche is cooked when inserted knife comes out clean! Let cool 10 minutes then serve!


Now onto the salads. So, I'm not going to sit here and tell you how to make a fruit salad, cause that would be crazy! Just pick your favorite fruits, clean them on up and toss them together!  

Same goes for the green salad! Just pick whatever you love most! It will be delicious, I promise. The only thing that I'm going to advocate is making your own vinaigrette. They are NOT as intimidating as they sound. 

What you need:

- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 TB champagne vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 TB dijon mustard
- 2 ts dried oregano
- a mason jar 

What you do:

This is where it gets real easy. Add all ingredients into the mason jar. MIX. Yes, use some elbow grease and shake the CRAP out of that vinaigrette. Taste and adjust as needed. If it takes too vinegar-y, add more oil. If it's too mustard-y, add more vinegar. You know just use those taste buds to make the PER-FECT dressing!

Put all of your delicious bounty out there for your guest to eat! 

Other things that are un-pictured but totally necessary: flowers for the table, fresh squeezed orange juice and champagne!

These are my basics for a easy, delicious, brunch! Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. HA! I am the same! I always worry about the same things, but I think that makes us good cooks and makes the environment welcoming, as we worry more about our guests than ourselves. Your quiche looks amazing!

    Brigita,
    http://lostinpattern.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete