Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Socca "Hippie" Pizza

So I have a few friends that are gluten free and I stumbled upon this recipe when I was planning a little dinner party with them. I have to say, gluten free or not, this pizza is delicious.  My boyfriend dubbed it "Hippie" pizza because it calls for a flour alternative (ahem, chickpea flour). I generally use sauteed spinach instead of kale, and I caramelize some onions and peppers too. Oh, and most importantly, I use regular cheese instead of the recommended vegan cream cheese.



Heres what you need:

The Crust

1c. chickpea flour (found at Whole Foods or any similar store)
1c. water
1 ts. cumin, rosemary, salt and pepper
1 TB olive oil

Pizza Fixings

3/4 c. tomato sauce
1/2 of a white onion
1/2 of a bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 handfuls of spinach
a pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 TB butter
1 c. (or more if you're me) shredded mozzarella cheese

Other Stuff

9 inch cast iron skillet
1 TB olive oil (no that's not a typo, I'll explain!)

What you do:

Mix the flour, water, spices, s, p, and olive oil in bowl. Put in fridge.

Put your skillet into the oven and preheat that sucker to 450F (really hot, I know)

Chop/prepare your veggies and start caramelizing them in butter.

Once oven is preheated, add 1 TB olive oil and swish around to coat evenly. Put back in oven for 5 mins.

Add crust batter to your hot skillet and put back in oven to cook for 15-20 minutes, or until it's browned around the edges.

Once crust is cooked, add sauce, cheese and veggie toppings to pizza crust. Cook for 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and delicious looking.

Let cool for a couple minutes, then serve.

Gluten free or not, it rocks my world.

Enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment